A resource I find myself leaning on when planning out a draft is the 7 Point Plot Structure presented in a youtube series of Dan Wells. He works through the 7 points of plot structure discussing what they are and in what order he approaches them. I particularly like the section where he creates multiple plot arcs and weaves them together.
The series can be found here: Dan Wells and the 7 Point Plot Structure
The Plot Points
- Hook – Hero has a sad and boring life
- Plot Turn 1 – Hero becomes a role.
- Pinch 1 – A bad guy attacks.
- Midpoint – Hero learns the truth about something, and swears to defeat the villain.
- Pinch 2 – Companions fall to the villain, and the hero is left alone.
- Plot Turn 2 – Facing villain, hero discovers the power is in him
- Resolution – Hero defeats villain.